Celebration of Matariki and the night skies of Otago
Featured Art Works
Unlock your innovative potential
Supported by a community network of outstanding astrophotographers and educators, Winterstellar Charitable Trust was established in 2022 to advance the appreciation, understanding and benefits of Otago’s dark skies and to promote Māori Mātauranga through astrophotography, astronomy and other arts.
Matariki 2022 was very special for Aotearoa New Zealand as a nation, celebrating it’s first public holiday inspired by mātauranga Māori. The Winterstellar team were privileged to take part in a number of events around Otago and Southland.
Sponsor an Art Work
In partnership with Southern Alps Imagery, and your help, we will offer selected Astrophotography Competition entrants the opportunity to have their works printed on Chromaluxe metal prints for display in the exhibition.
Expression of Interest
- We are limited to 28 exhibitors for this year’s Winterstellar Exhibition
- Long term supporters of Winterstellar will have some priority
- Selection of exhibitors will be finalised by the Winterstellar Charitable Trust board
- No negotiation about selections will be undertaken. Board decisions will be final.
Exhibitor Selection Timeline
- Wednesday 19th April – Expression of Interest Form goes live
- Monday 1st May – Expression of Interest form closes
- Monday 15th May – Applicants notified of selection result
- Monday 12th June – Successful applicants must submit:
- Price and name of each image
- Dimensions of image in mm
- 1080px jpeg of each image for catalogue and publicity
- Max 100 word caption for each image
- Max 50 word biography
Winterstellar 2023 Exhibitions Timeline
- Lakes District Museum, Arrowtown
- Wednesday 5th July – Pack In
- Friday 7th July 2023 – Exhibition Opening
- Sunday 27th August – Pack Out (move to Alexandra)
- Central Stories Museum, Alexandra
- Sunday 27th August – Pack In
- Tuesday 29th August – Exhibition Opening
- 20th September – Pack Out*
*There is an opportunity to repurpose and move portions of the exhibition within Central Stories to be available for viewing throughout the busy Blossom Festival weekend 22nd to 24th September. Images should be available to exhibit until 15th October.
- 40% commission retained (30% gallery, 10% WCT) on images sold at exhibitions
- Each exhibitor’s installation must not exceed 1200mm x 1200mm of wall space.
- Your installation can include multiple images, or one single image.
- There will be pre-set opportunities during the exhibitions when artists can swap out works of similar size. This can be in response to sales of works.